Tuesday, March 22, 2011

We Survived the Super Moon!

Talk about bad timing!  It was bad enough that I scheduled things last week knowing there was a full moon coming up on the weekend!  The things I scheduled though?  Oh my goodness!  A new doctor and a visit to an adult day care?  What was I thinking!
Then, to top it off, I found out that it was a “super” moon.  The moon on Saturday was 33,000 miles closer to earth than usual.  Supposedly the effects would be worse than usual – and they were.
On a daily basis, Mom makes comments that leave you thinking, “Where did that come from?”  It just generally gets more fun around the full moon.  Five days before this last one, Mom started telling me about the man that had been sleeping in her bed, he on his side and she on hers.
That same evening, she went to the bathroom and when she came back out, she looked at me and said, “Is this for real?”  She told me there was nothing in her head.  I don’t know if she thought she was dreaming but she had no idea where she was.  She didn’t know where her bedroom was, where her “supplies” were – she always talks about “supplies” and I guess she means clothes?  She also wanted to know if her husband was here.
The week progressed with lots of references to her husband and her dad and mom.  Where were they, they were coming to pick her up, had I seen them, etc.  She also threw in questions about the dog (our non-existent one) and asked one morning if the newspaper had been brought in but I cancelled the newspaper awhile back because she was no longer looking at it.
The entire week, she was unable to keep track of what meals had been eaten.  Normally she might ask me a few times a week but last week it was all day long.  She would say good morning several times each morning not realizing she had already seen me and she would ask about breakfast.
She made it through the first home visit of her new doctor and he had an opportunity to see her happy but with the dementia dancing around in her mind.  I liked that he talked to her, not me, but he would glance at me sitting behind her to see if what she was saying was real or not.  She pulled out a picture of my daddy and called him her daddy, then brought out the pictures of her daddy and also called him daddy.  She couldn’t come up with any names.  I provided them and the doctor would bring up a name to see if she could carry it forward.  It just wasn’t happening.
I already wrote about the catastrophic response to the adult day care and we continue to feel the effects of that visit although they are lessening.  She spent last week and the weekend packing her things and thinking someone was coming to get her.
The good thing?  She kept asking me if she could just stay here.  My assurances continue each day when she asks the question.  “Yes, you can stay right here with me.”  Mom’s response?  “Good.”
I must be doing something right!
Enjoying a little bit of sun on our swing!

No comments:

Post a Comment