Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Should I Put My Sweater On?

Last night we were scheduled to go to the museum to see our granddaughter’s Ascent program artwork on display.  Given the timing, 5:30 pm to 7:00 pm, we had to eat early so that we could enjoy some time there.  I let Mom know that we were going to eat early and that after we would be going for a ride.  I tried to tell her where we were going but that just wasn’t registering so I left it at “a ride”.  Big mistake!
Mom has a fleece cardigan sweater that I have her wear under her coat when we go anywhere.  It’s handy even in the summer when the stores and restaurants have their air conditioning on because she gets chilly easily. 
My mistake?  Telling Mom prior to eating that we were going somewhere!  Not only did she keep asking the time – the answer to which she did not understand – but she also kept getting her sweater and asking if she should put it on.  So I spent the better part of an hour telling her over and over again what we were going to do and assuring her that I would give her dinner and get her ready when it was time.
When we finally sat down to eat some quick leftovers, Mom looked at me and asked, “When will the craziness end?”  I just had to smile and tell her that it probably wouldn’t end until after Christmas!
The evening definitely turned into a success!  Mom didn’t understand at all the work our granddaughter had done for her display but she was very happy to see her and thought the work was pretty.  When we all went up to see the train display, Mom was all smiles.  She enjoyed watching our granddaughter and little 2 year old grandson as they went from place to place looking at the trains.  She especially liked the section of the display that was a carnival train scene.
This morning she was up bright and early as usual and after the morning routine, settled down again to look out the window in my office.  Words were again an issue as she told me, “There’s a purple looking thing on the clide that has maybe come to help move things out.”  (That was not a typo!)  I think she was talking about the snow melting off the roofs again because a few moments later she said that out back “a man took a thing and moved stuff off the thing”.  Then still later, “They are clearing the stuff off the roof.  I haven’t seen them but they are.”
Our day was spent running errands.  We picked up a form from the doctor to get a handicapped parking tag so that during this cold weather, I can park closer so she doesn’t have to walk so far.  We stopped at the post office and a craft store and then did our grocery shopping.  It may be cold but she loves to put on that sweater and go!

No comments:

Post a Comment