Monday, December 20, 2010

Communication is Interesting

The “craziness” in our household continued yesterday when all of our children and grandchildren came over to celebrate our Christmas.  It was fairly organized but boisterous and got more so as our two year old grandson decided to open everyone’s presents for them – until his daddy took him out of the room and distracted him.  Through it all, Mom sat there quietly watching.  She handled the entire crew being there for the snacks, the opening of presents and a grab it when you want it dinner.
Mom spoke here and there during the festivities but mostly watched.  It’s at times like those that she is most quiet because she knows that her mind is going and that, most importantly, her words are gone.  During her lifetime she has read many, many books.  I believe my love of reading came from her.  She was also a stickler for grammar and, although she didn’t go to college, I could ask her a grammar question and she could answer it.
Now she seldom gets out a complete sentence that makes sense – although once in awhile she may come up with an actual sentence.  Today she said, “I really enjoyed the house yesterday and all of them in it.”  She was telling me that she enjoyed the Christmas celebration with my children and grandchildren.
Quite often, however, this is what I hear (typed word for word as she said it during our last snowfall):
“This [snow] has been put down for those of us who have been a part of it. There’s a reason for it.  It does part of a job.  That shows that it is in… I need some of the words we always use.  It’s just like we started when that happened here a week or two weeks ago.  Anyhow, they told us they were going to do that, this, so it could get that bad life hot water stuff should be you know normal.  They should not do things like that and that’s what they do some of them.  Make everybody do what they want them to.  This is like other people all along the way that leave it go…” 
She can continue on and on.  I might know what she’s talking about when she starts but where it ends up often leaves me guessing.  I’ve learned to listen with a well placed “uh huh” here and there and I try to glean some understanding of what’s running through her mind.
Today she was again fascinated by the play of clouds in front of the sun.  Over and over she told me about the colors she was seeing – purple, red, blue, orange.  I do not see those colors although I do find the variation of white and various shades of gray beautiful.  While I wondered at her use of the color words in her description, I decided not to discount her description.  You see, Mom could always see auras around people, especially when sitting quietly and watching someone such as the minister at church while he was giving the sermon.
The ability to speak is something else that will eventually disappear as well as her ability to smile.  Consequently, even though she seldom puts together a full sentence now, I will enjoy the awe that she communicates each day while I can but I will be prepared for the day it stops.

No comments:

Post a Comment