Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Mom is happy and life is good!

I know it’s only been a little over 24 hours but what a 24 hours!
Yesterday my sister came to take Mom to lunch and then up to her house for a haircut.  We didn’t tell Mom what we were doing because it would have caused too much anxiety.  While they were on their trip, my husband, my son-in-law and I packed up Mom’s things and moved them into her new home.   We had to make a quick trip for a few things we forgot, of course, but the move in went smoothly.
After we were finished, my sister brought Mom around.  We walked her around to her room and when she walked in, she smiled and actually looked pleased.  There was an edge of uncertainty but we told Mom that my husband and I were going away for a week and that the doctor thought it best that she stay here.  She seemed to accept that and we then took a walk around the square and the staff all greeted her along the way.  Christina, the Marketing Manager, walked up, gave her a hug and said how happy she was to see her like they had known each other a long time.  Mom told her how happy she was to see her too.  J
It was getting close to dinner time there and we didn’t want to interfere so we said our goodbyes as Christina asked Mom if she would mind helping fold linens.  Mom said yes, hugged and kissed us goodbye and didn’t look back as we walked out the door.  Step 1 accomplished!
This morning I called the nurse to see how the night went.  The night went fine and Mom came out for breakfast.  While I was on the phone Mom was actually close by looking out the window.  Step 2 accomplished!
This afternoon my sister stopped by for a quick visit.  Mom was playing a game with the other residents but saw my sister approaching the door and announced to everyone that her “mom” was coming to the door.  A little bit later she laughed and told everyone it was her daughter.  Mom finished her game and then took my sister and my great grandniece to her room.  She led them down the hallway and after turning the corner, she looked at each door until she found the one with her name on it.  Step 3 accomplished!
I am so thrilled!  I knew it was time and I felt we had made the right choice.  Mom has been terribly bored at our house but I couldn’t get her interested in doing anything other than jigsaw puzzles.  I know she was also frustrated by the locked doors that limited her wandering.  They were for her safety, and our sanity, but none of that meant anything to her.  They were just another limit to her freedom.  Now she can roam when she wants because there are people working 24 hours a day.  She can walk around as much and whenever she wants.  She can also visit with others – some even close to her age!
She is still in a secure environment but for Mom, she is free at last!

No comments:

Post a Comment