Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Wheelchair… Walking… Walking… Wheelchair


I never know what I will find when I arrive at Mom’s.  Some days her wheelchair is in her room or off to the side of the living room and other days she is sitting in it.  I leave it to Melissa and the other aides to keep an eye on her and they seem to have a good handle on how she is doing.
Last week I arrived to find her sitting happily in her rocking chair in the living room, holding the baby.  After a nice visit, I walked her all the way to her chair in the dining room.  As usual, it took her a minute to stand and get her legs under her and it was slow walking, but she did it happily and like it was the normal thing to do.
 
On Saturday, we joined her for the home’s Thanksgiving dinner.  I arrived just before noon to find her in her wheelchair and Melissa had dolled her up and fixed her hair.  She looked so cute and very happy to see everyone!  She ate every bit of her meal and half of her pumpkin pie before she was full.  It wasn’t long however, before we could see how tired she was and that she was trying her best to stay awake.  I finally told her it was okay to snooze and snooze she did!

I arrived Tuesday to find her freshly bathed and sitting in her wheelchair visiting with the hospice nurse.  Mom was running a temperature and the nurse said her heart was racing but you never would have known.  She was smiling and laughing and talking non-stop.  She had refused her breakfast that morning so while it was hard to tell at the moment, it was obvious that she wasn’t feeling well.  It was also one of those definite wheelchair days.  I needed to raise her up just enough to put the alarm under her that goes off if she tries to stand up.  She struggled to get out of the chair even with my help and couldn’t stand.
The difference between good days and bad days is amazing!  I’m just glad she seems happy either way.
While the nurse and I were talking with Mom, the nurse mentioned the possibility of Mom suddenly hemorrhaging.  The doctor wanted everyone around Mom to know that, given Mom’s tumor is bleeding regularly although a small amount, she could suddenly hemorrhage and there would be a huge amount of blood.  She didn’t want anyone to become scared or panic if it happened.
Luckily for me (or not), I have experienced it myself so am aware of what it is like.  My grandma, Mom’s mom, died from a hemorrhage so it evidently runs in the family.  I also know that if it happens to Mom at this stage, it will take her life.  I am prepared and I believe my family is also.
All that said, the next time I see her she will probably be walking again…  J.  I bet Daddy is wondering when she will finally give up and join him!

1 comment:

  1. I am so sorry you're having to experience this.I want you to know I'll be keeping all of you in prayer.

    ReplyDelete