Friday, November 1, 2013

Spills, Chills and What is the Plan?

It’s easy to see the difference between Alzheimer’s, which is a form of dementia, and Mom’s version of dementia.  Daddy had early onset Alzheimer’s and he forgot how to walk after being given a normal dose of sedative for a man his size.  He and Mom have never taken medication so it hit him hard and it was three days before he was awake and aware.  He forgot a lot in that time and some skills, like swallowing, we were able to restore, but the walking was gone.

When Mom broke her arm, she forgot how to cut the quilt blocks that she had been cutting for years.  She went through a time then when she was losing skills.  Now she has just a few basic skills left – eating, walking and knowing when she has to use the bathroom.  Learning new skills is definitely gone.  Introducing a wheelchair now requires learning something new.  It’s just not happening…

Although the aides encourage her to stay in her chair, Mom will still get up and walk.  Last week, she fell again and hit her head this time.  She ended up with a rug burn over one eyebrow that has scabbed over.  As usual, she was chatty as the nurse checked her over and came away with just the wound on her eyebrow and a bruise on her elbow.
It's small but the scab on her eyebrow is definitely there.
My sister was able to check on Mom right after her fall so I went up the next day and ran into some more fun!  I was greeted with a hug by one of the other residents when I walked in the door and shortly after arriving, I had to take care of Mom in the bathroom.  She has been dealing with diarrhea for a few years now so I thought nothing of that until later when they told me she had refused her lunch the day before but had eaten well that morning.  A few minutes later Mom had to head to the bathroom again and while I was taking care of her, the resident who had initially greeted me vomited in the living room.  Evidently a bug was making its way around the home – and I was sitting in the middle of it!

Falls and bugs are inevitable in any assisted living facility or nursing home.  Having raised a daughter with epilepsy, I know only too well that I can’t stop falls from happening.  There’s no stopping bugs either.  Someone comes to visit or someone comes in to work without knowing they are carrying a bug.  Next thing you know, one of the residents becomes ill – and so it starts.

While I’ve been checking on Mom and following the transition to hospice, I’ve also been checking into the possibility of getting another job.  I keep thinking I need to make some money so I can help with Mom’s bill but every time I think I have a something lined up, there is a new development. 

I worked all summer but then Tina left and I was faced with the transition to a new aide for Mom.  At the same time, Hurricane was struggling with his transition to kindergarten and needed me to perform some Grandma duties.
I was looking at a new job and Mom was suddenly put on hospice and another transition began and is ongoing.  I considered another and then another and each time an issue of some kind popped up. 


I’ve always trusted that God would guide me if I just listen for his plan.  I’m trying very hard to listen now and figure out if I’m supposed to work or take care of my family.  I do hope it all comes clear soon.  Meanwhile, I’ll take care of my husband, watch over Mom and keep Hurricane out of trouble!

No comments:

Post a Comment