Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Are her walking days coming to an end? Is it time for a wheelchair? Hospice?

The path hasn’t been without bumps since I last wrote.  I left my job – my choice – and I guess it was supposed to be because Mom and now my grandson, Hurricane, obviously need me around.

Mom’s showers took a slight downhill turn when I arrived to find her clean but her hair had not been washed.  They told me she cried when she was in the shower and didn’t want to upset her further.  I guess I didn’t understand why they didn’t start with her hair?
I quickly put her in the shower and washed her hair.  She didn’t complain a bit and it was gratifying when she let me know how good it felt when I was massaging her scalp.  I thanked her when we were done and she said thank you right back.  I was able to dress her and blow dry her hair without incident and that was probably the best incentive for her caregivers to ensure they did it well next time.  No issues with bathing since!
Mom’s bleeding continues – better sometimes, worse others – and has prompted a few calls to me.  Melissa, her new caregiver, knows that as long as Mom is happy and not in pain, we’re good.  Other aides are not so sure and insist the nurse calls me to let me know.  Like Melissa, the nurse knows my mantra, but she will call me to make the aide feel better.
The bleeding has prompted another request to have a hospice evaluation.  They want Mom examined to see if the bleeding may be vaginal and if there may be cancer present.  We don’t have cancer in the family but at 97, who knows?  Maybe?  We certainly won’t treat it if it is there.
I’ve just spoken to the doctor and she’s given me a time to meet there for the examination/evaluation.  After our discussion of Mom’s history, she doesn’t think she will need to be invasive.  She doesn’t want to cause Mom undue stress and I certainly appreciate her concern.
I let her know that my bigger concern is the most recent development.  Mom has complained about pain in her feet for years – certainly prior to our trip to Australia with her in 1994.  She has also experienced edema (water retention) in her feet and ankles over the years but if she walked enough, it would subside. 
This past weekend, the aides all noticed that she was hobbling and eventually got to the point where she needed assistance to walk to the dining room.  Between meals, she planted herself in a chair and sat there happily watching what was going on or snoozing whenever her eyelids got heavy.  All the sitting just caused the swelling in her feet and ankles to get worse.
Her hobbling, the swelling, and need for assistance prompted a call of concern from the nurse.  Would I consider an x-ray to rule out a broken bone?  Certainly!  The x-ray revealed a very old fracture of a metatarsal (a long bone in her foot that she may have broken back in the 1980s), a bad case of osteoarthritis and edema.  No new injuries but all good reasons for the pain she feels when she stands and walks.
Is it time for a wheelchair?  A walker won’t do the trick because it’s not balance that is the problem.  She said years ago that she wanted a wheelchair but at that point in time, balance was the problem.  A wheelchair wasn’t necessary then but it may be now.  Pain is the problem and if I can keep Mom happy by getting her a wheelchair, I’ll do it. 

She can enjoy pet therapy while sitting!

No comments:

Post a Comment