Sunday, September 9, 2012

It’s so interesting…

I saw a story on the news this morning about a man with dementia, living in a nursing home, who, although unable to communicate, seemed to be comforting one of the other residents.  The gentleman’s son finally realized that his father, a medic in WWII, was comforting another resident who had been the cook for his unit in WWII.  Seems the cook was injured during the war and the medic took care of him.  Somehow his demented mind recognized the long ago friend!

You just never know what might trigger something in the mind of someone with dementia.  Recently, one of the aides (CNAs) in Mom’s ALF decided to move to Florida and go to school.  This CNA, Whitney, was an integral part of the staff so the decision caused quite a stir.
One day when I was visiting, Mom told me that she would be leaving for Florida soon because “they” wanted to try it out down there for awhile.  Grandma and Grandpa moved to Florida with her when she was little to try and make a life there.  They found they didn’t like it so they moved back.  I thought that she was just flashing back to that time of her life so didn’t think anything of it.  I just asked if she was going with Grandma and Grandpa and she looked a little confused and responded, “I guess so.”
It wasn’t until later that I learned about Whitney’s move and, of course, there had been some discussion of it.  Mom obviously overheard and thought that “they”, probably Tina, Whitney and Mom, were heading to Florida to “try it out”.
Since then, Whitney left and the residents have been enduring the process of finding the new CNA that will fit into the “family” there.  In the past, if Mom’s CNA, Tina, was off, quite often Whitney was working and took care of Mom.  Now if Tina is not there, there is no Whitney to cover and I have found reasons to be concerned about Mom’s care.
I have raised my concerns with management and they have asked for patience while they work out the staffing plan.  I can only hope that they will find a solution that will again make me feel that the Mom is well cared for when Tina is not there.
The good news is Mom is still happy.  I find her confused more often but in spite of that she still seems content.
Mom's awake and ready to play noodle ball!

2 comments:

  1. I came across your blog after I googeled Full Moon and Alzheimer's. My husband and I are the care givers to my 88 year old Aunt who has Parkinson's & Alzheimer's. Many of your stories early in your blog mirror our lives. You started a blog, I started a diary. I just needed an outlet, but wasn't willing to share. After I started read your blog, I wanted to know what was the trigger to finally seek placement for Mom? Your comment, "I'm Done" pretty much sums it up. It's been a little over 3 years for us, without the relief of family or professionals, with very few exceptions. We are housebound, much like she is. We have finally drawn the line in the sand, I think, and decided we will place her by summer if she is still with us.

    We really struggle with the paranoia of her disease. She's always talking about the police, one of the grandchildren being in the hospital, our "all night parties" and her car being crashed, among many more common threads. Of course none of it's true, but like you, we do find ourselves laughing at some of it. Like the day she called 911 because she said my husband locked her in the house and blew up 3 buildings in the downtown area of our small town.

    Thank you for sharing.
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for commenting, Cheryl. I always hope that my journey with Mom can somehow help someone else. I wish you the best as you continue down your path and if you ever need to reach out, I'm here!

    ReplyDelete