Friday, March 2, 2012

Even those with dementia love kids but…

Oh, the look on the residents faces when I walk in with my 3 year old grandson!  They are all smiles and saying hello as we walk back to Mom’s area.  Even when we walk into Mom’s area, where those residents in the later stages of dementia live, faces light up.  Words aren’t always there for them but they convey their pleasure in their expressions.

Mom really lights up when she sees a child.  I’ve only seen her when one of her little ones (great grandchildren) walks in and she seems to know they belong to her but I have a feeling she would be delighted with any child that walked in.
Yesterday, however, was a good example of how happy things can turn volatile quickly when dealing with dementia.

We arrived during exercise time and sat down next to Mom.  My little guy, Anthony, was feeling shy so he sat on my lap through the exercises and the reading of the Daily Chronicle.  The residents watched him and smiled but went on with their routine.  Snack time came next and while I passed out glasses of water, Anthony finagled a couple peanut butter crackers from Beth without asking but did whisper, “Thank you”.  J
Next up was noodle ball!  Anthony was happy to play and the residents were happy to play and watch him.  He’s 3 so I did have to remind him to share and make sure he was careful not to hit anyone but all was going pretty well.

There is a relatively new gentleman in the group who reminds me of my daddy because he calls the women “Mom” and everyone else “George”.  He talks constantly and was talking all during noodle ball.  He seemed to enjoy playing with Anthony and kept commenting on “the boy”.  Suddenly, as we played, the gentleman became upset and stood up, waving the foam noodle in a menacing fashion, talking the whole while.  It appeared to me that he was imagining some slight to “the boy” by the other residents.
Tina, the wonderful aide who cares for Mom, stepped in front of the gentleman and tried to gain his attention.  He towered over her but she is intrepid!  She worked on calming him and while I felt no threat toward Anthony, the aides were concerned so I took Mom and Anthony away from the situation.  Tina quickly calmed the gentleman and soon had him sitting on the couch holding one of the baby dolls.  Volatile situation averted.

It was another reminder of my daddy.  Daddy was in the nursing home when my son and youngest daughter were around Anthony’s age.  We went outside with Daddy and he became very agitated when we let them run across the driveway unattended.  He didn’t understand that it wasn’t a road and that they were safe.
While their memories are fading, you can never tell when a situation will bring forward an old memory, good or bad.  I know in my heart that the gentleman was being protective of Anthony but given the ravages of dementia, he no longer has the social skills to deal with the situation.  To avoid a similar situation, I think I’ll work on a different way for Anthony to visit Mom.
All tuckered out after his visit with Great Grandma!

No comments:

Post a Comment